ROCKLER HERMLE MOVEMENT INSTRUCTIONS
QTY. PART DESCRIPTION
- Movement #451-050 (with chains, hooks, rings and hand nut )
- Weight shells - polished brass (40 x 232mm)
- Weight inserts - lead (4.7 lb.)
- Weight insert - lead (6.6 lb.)
- Pendulum -( Wood stick or Lyra style) depends on order
- Mounting screws & Washers (for seatboard mounting)
- Weight rods, hooks, knobs
- Chime block (back mount.) with mounting screws & washers
- Hands for 8” dial (pair)
- Chime selector angles with set screw
NOTE: HERMLE DOUBLE-CHECKS ALL PARTS PRIOR TO SHIPMENT.
Please read the instructions carefully before beginning to install your movement.
- Keep movement wrapped and away from woodworking areas( dust can be harmful)
- Be sure to look through all packing material, not to miss any parts.
- Be careful cuting taped packed parts open.(You do not want to scratch or cut any parts)
MOUNTING MOVEMENT TO SEATBOARD
- Seatboard schematics should be provided with case plans.
- To fasten movement to seatboard you must first slip movement chains through the precut chain slot in seatboard, this will allow the movt. to rest level on the board. Place the movement onto the seatboard parallel to the front edge and center it from side to side. All chains must hang through the center slot of seatboard. Also, check that the pendulum leader does not come in contact with the seatboard after the movement is placed on it.
- Take the two movement mounting screws and washers, screw them in from underneath the seatboard into the bottom movement pillars with threaded holes. (These pillars are located in-between the movement plates at the bottom right & left corners of the movement.
- Make sure both screws are tightened so that the movement is secured to the seatboard and will not slide or tip when moved (finger tight plus one turn, do not over tighten).
MOUNTING DIAL TO MOVEMENT
- With the movement placed inside the clock, slide the selector angle onto the selector arm but do not tighten the set screw yet (angle points forward to protrude through dial slot).
- Slide the moon drive-gear onto the handshaft (with the teeth towards the movement).
- Take dial out of the plastic cover, fit dial onto the movement by inserting dial posts through the four holes in movement plate (holes are located at each corner of front movement plate).
- While holding dial on movement, you will notice that the four dial posts are protruding through the inside of the front plate. At the end of these posts there are holes drilled through them for the brass tapered pins. Press one tapered pin in each hole. (Be sure pin is in tight) This will hold dial in place.
- Align the moon drive-gear ,( you placed it on the handshaft in step 2) so it rides in the middle of the gear on bottom of the dial. Once it is in this position you can tighten the set screw in the moon drive-gear.
- Align the chime-selector angle protruding through the dial at the 3 o’clock position to the center of the slots in the dial and tighten the set screw. (Set screw is located on the back of the chime-selector angle).
- If you have the second hand option on your model, take the second-hand and insert its shaft through the hole of the second-hand dial. Make sure the second-hand does not come in contact with the dial. (not all models have the second hand option)
- Minute and hour hand installation comes after weight installation.
MOUNTING MOVEMENT TO CASE
- Install the movement which is mounted on the seatboard into the case. The handshaft has to be in the center of the case. The dial has to fit in the dial-cutout of the case. Make sure that the handshaft does not come into contact with the glass in the door when it is closed.
- Position the chime rod assembly inside the rear of the case such that the base of the chime block is approximately 1” above the hammers. Secure the seatboard at this time to the 2 mounting blocks inside the case with wood screws (not supplied by us).
- If your case is deeper than 9”, a wood block will have to be added to the back wall of the case to bring the chime block closer to the movement. The hammer wires on the movement must be bent to adjust to the chime block rods.
NOTE: None of the chime rods are to interfere with the pendulum leader or the pendulum itself .
- Mark the position of the four threaded holes onto the back board.
- Remove the chime assembly unscrew movement from seatboard and drill these four holes into the backboard using a 7/32” drill bit.
- Place the four washers onto the four mounting screws and secure the chime assembly to the case.
- Screw movement back onto the seatboard making sure that it is centered again. Also, make sure that the center shaft will not come into contact with the door when it is closed.(Important)
- With the movement secured, bend hammer arms so that the hammers strike each chime rod squarely in the center and rest approximately 1/16” to 1/8” off of the rods(you must do this to get the best sound. Also, do not position hammer arms closer than 1/16" because hammer will double hit the chime rod.) The closer the hammer is to the rod, the louder it will strike, the further away, the softer it will strike. Beyond this, there is no volume adjustment.
- Rotate the chrome chime hammer retainer bars back and away from the chime hammers. Make sure they are as far away as possible from the hammers.
INSTALLATION OF THE PENDULUM
- Unpack pendulum carefully.
- Use gloves to handle the pendulum, thus avoiding fingerprints. Hang the pendulum onto the pendulum hanger hook , located on the back side of the movement.
INSTALLATION OF THE WEIGHTS
- Unpack the three weights also using gloves to avoid fingerprints.
- Using a clean cloth rag or glove to hold weight shells, insert one weight insert into each of the brass weight shells. Some inserts may fit tightly, so some force may be necessary. Be careful not to dent or scratch shells.
- Insert the 6.6 lb. weight into one shell. Insert the 4.7 lb. weights into the other shells, Place an end cap onto each end of all the weights.
- Next slide the weight rod through the entire weight insert and shell so the rod protrudes through the top and bottom of the shell. Then screw one hook on the top and one knob on the bottom of all three shells.
- Take the 6.6 lb. weight and hang it on the right-hand chain (chime side) while making sure that the chain lies hooked on the gear above. Install the other two weights in the same manner. (If you have two heavy weights and one light, then the two heavy weights should be hung on the middle & the right side chain. (This is looking at the clock from the front.)
IMPORTANT: The weights and pendulum MUST be removed before moving your clock. Failure to do so may damage the pendulum, weights, your case or break the door glass